The role that sports have in our lives is sometimes not well recognized by all sections of society. Something that has to be understood is the value that sports add to our lives. The benefits of playing sports have an all-round effect, having a profound influence on various spheres.
Besides keeping you healthy and fit, sports improve physical coordination and strength. These are but some of the physical aspects that sports have on you. Apart from these, there are many other areas that develop simultaneously because of playing sports. The essence of timing, good discipline, sportsmanship, and team spirit are all some of the evident areas that see a sea change.
Sports are important. Along with it the nutrition and supplements that sportsmen and people playing adventure sports take, has a very significant part to play.
Importance of sports nutrition
To optimize the beneficial activities of sports and physical activities, the nutrition that athletes and sports persons take is vital. Good nutrition should be the topmost priority of athletes and sportspersons. A balanced diet of complete nutritious food, fluids, and other health supplements ensures that the performance and energy in sporting activities are maintained.
Muscle fatigue is one thing that has to be avoided by sportspersons. In most of the sports-related activities, muscles sustain micro-tears. Proteins are the components that help you in rebuilding. To make your muscles stronger, proteins are very essential. And hence an adequate intake of all the important components like carbohydrates, proteins, and fats should be present. Fats are the components of food whose intake should be monitored but not removed completely from the diet.
Vitamins and minerals have an important role in the metabolic pathways. Athletes should always have the right intake of nutritious and balanced food, to meet up the energy requirements of the body.
Importance of Sports nutrition supplements
Dietary supplements are generally the extra supplements used by athletes, sportspersons, and bodybuilders, to boost performance, recovery, and strength. Intake of diet supplements results in a better build of muscle and boost of energy.
Sports diet supplements are also called as ergogenic aids. These products enhance athletic performance. Some of these supplements include minerals, vitamins, amino acids, proteins, metabolites, etc.
Some of the well-known supplements and energy drinks that are generally taken by athletes and sportspersons are discussed briefly.
- Protein Supplements – these are essential nutrients that boost performance and also help in muscle rebuild. Some of the sources of proteins are whey protein, casein protein, egg white protein, soy protein, etc.
- Amino acid supplements – Amino acids support protein synthesis and muscle building. Hence they are mainly used by strength trainers and bodybuilders. There are different types of amino acid supplements that can be used singly or in combination. These amino acid supplements help in workout recovery, muscle soreness, boosting metabolism, etc.
- Zinc and Magnesium supplements – Zinc and magnesium are essential minerals that are required by the body. These are micro-nutrients that are involved in many metabolic reactions, such as the body’s use of energy and the production of hormones. These two essential minerals taken as supplements help in the sportspersons in many ways.
- Creatine Supplements – This is one supplement, any serious athlete should consider taking. It ensures maximum intensity workouts and also helps in gaining muscle size and strength. It helps you to train longer and boosts performance during high-intensity exercises. Creatine is found in the skeletal muscles of the body. A few types of non-vegetarian foods, like meats and fish, have creatine. Many athletes and sports persons take creatine supplements, because of the beneficial effects that it provides. It is also one of the performance-enhancing substances that are allowed under the rules of the International Olympic Committee. It is also not banned by a majority of the sport’s governing bodies.
- Caffeine– It is a stimulant that stimulates the central nervous system, which keeps the sportspersons As a result, intense exercise is even easier to achieve. The metabolic rate and the fat burning rate are also elevated by the use of caffeine.
Finally, a great combination of proper training and a functional approach to nutrition is the key to successful athletic performance.